A significant amount of the food we distribute is donated by farmers, packers, manufacturers, wholesalers, and others in the food industry.
What can be donated?
The Food Bank of WNY will accept cases or truckloads of non-perishable food, refrigerated food, frozen food produce, and non-food items. Items for donation can be:
- Close-to-code (for a list of acceptable best-by dates, click here.)
- Mislabeled or unlabeled
- Discontinued products
- Production overruns
- Test-market items or product samples
- Private-label product
- Off-specification product
- Seasonal items
- Non-food items including infant formula, diapers, cleaning product, health and beauty product, pet food and paper goods
What are the benefits of donation?
- Receipts for tax deduction: The PATH Act of 2015 allows your company to claim an enhanced tax deduction when you donate usable food.
- Cost savings: By donating food and other products, your company can reduce its storage and dumping fees.
- Community goodwill: Your support can foster pride among your employees and garner respect in the community.
- Protection from liability: The Federal Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act protects companies from civil and criminal liability suits. The Food Bank of WNY adheres to safe food handling practices and passes regular inspections by Feeding America, the FDA, USDA, and AIB International.
To donate, contact Agency Services Manager Michael Daloia at email@example.com or (716) 935-6676.